Wednesday, May 26, 2010

First Food!!!

The pupsters had their first experience with real food on Saturday evening.  Sometimes puppies new to real food aren't really sure what to do with it.  My last litter played with it a while before accidentally tasting some and realizing they could eat it....not this gang!!  They immediately came up and started chowing down like this was what they were born for!!  "Little Man" who has been having a hard time staying on a nipple, the big guns always push him out of the way, had a pretty clever technique with real food....he lays in the dish!! They did a pretty good job of cleaning the bowl, then started to clean each other up (what good brothers and sisters :)  then we let Mom in to finish the clean up job, which she was very happy to do.  Now they are up to three meals a day.  We are feeding them raw chicken blended with some pulverized veggies and goat's milk (from our goats).  A raw diet is what I think is best, but in honesty, I can't afford to keep all of my dogs on raw all of the time.  So when they are adults, I feed them the highest quality kibbles I can find mixed with fresh veggies and fruits, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. and offer a raw meal about twice a week.  I have been feeding Marlene raw since she got pregnant and still now that she's still nursing, and I'll keep the babies on raw for a few weeks. I will gradually switch the ones going to "kibble homes" over shortly before they are ready to go home.  Any of the "raw homes" will stay on raw.

Little Man and Black Girl were the first to chow down.

The whole gang has joined in.

Little Man's technique was to lay across the food so no one could shove him out of the way.

Little Man again....he's just so cute and apparently a camera hog.

Closing in on each other as the portions ran low.

Cleaning each other up....how sweet and thoughtful.


They kept pulling the shredded newspaper in as they ate.  I learned to make sure the area

was clear of shreds before I put the food down from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment